Healthy snacks like raisins aka kishmish should be consumed as it is a nutritious super-food. Almonds and walnuts are among the yummy snacks offered to us by mother nature which we can consume guilt-free.
Raisins are dried grapes which are filled with several nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, polyphenols and many other dietary fibers. For all those who are health conscious, raisins are best suitable for their diet. Following are their health benefits:
- Raisins are loaded with insoluble dietary fibers, making them a natural laxative that helps with bowel movement and constipation.
“Raisins provide relief from constipation as well as other gastrointestinal problems like abdominal pain, irritable bowel syndrome, gas, bloating, and flatulence, etc.” said Amreen Shaikh, head nutritionist from Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai.
- Healthy weight gain can be achieved by eating raisins as they are rich in fructose and glucose.
- Raisins provide relief from hypertension as they have high potassium content. Potassium is a natural vasodilator.
- Raisins are filled with essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals which enhance our immunity and should be consumed every day.
“Raisins also have antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that help to reduce the risk of various infections”, explained Ms. Shaikh.
- Inflammatory problems such as arthritis and gout can be combatted by consuming raisins.
“Antioxidants like vitamin C and polyphenols are anti-inflammatory in nature, which relieves pain and inflammation associated with gout and arthritis”, says head dietician Shaikh.
- This healthy snack has proved to be useful in treating insomnia due to the presence of an essential nutrient like iron which improves metabolism, carries oxygen, strengthens immunity and ensures better sleep.