If anyone in Pakistan is being asked about the name of his/her favourite dish, the answer is definitely a biryani, which is cooked and served with great relish in almost every house.
And it would not be wrong to say that the South Asian people love biryani, which is prepared under certain techniques.
But recently, a South Korean website shared a recipe for biryani, but it drew strong criticism from social media users.
Two days ago, a website called Food24 shared a video of cooking biryani. They wrote in the caption, “In celebration of Heritage month we’ve whipped up an easy-to-make, scrumptious biryani that’ll have you coming back for seconds.”
The biryani looked different from the typical biryani, with less rice and more meat and vegetables.
The video shows boneless meat and lentils being added, but the traditional recipe for biryani does not include lentils.
However, Twitterati did not like this recipe of biryani and the video was strongly criticized by them.
A user from Karachi got offended and wrote,” OK this is an insult to Biryani, the Queen of dishes in Northern India and Western Pakistan. My city Karachi is the Biryani capital of the world, so I’m deeply offended. But it’s a pleasant surprise as to how many people from other parts of the world know that it’s Not Biryani.”
Another user wrote,”even me a gori knows that this is not briyani”
A user named Waqas said “It’s not Biryani. Stop playing with our emotions. I have not seen anything more scary.”
Read some of the replies below,
Thats not fair this is disrespect of such precious dish
— AISHA (@AishaAwan___) October 1, 2020
I think you’re closer to being the Queen of England than this being a biryani.
— Hania (@han3yy) October 1, 2020
This is what happens when companies start hiring people with irrelevant experience or people with no experience.
— KongPosh (@rohitp83) October 2, 2020
Please stop disrespecting our heritage with this utter nonsense.
— miss vanjie (@taahira_k) October 1, 2020
After receiving the heavy criticism, the website wrote, “We’ve heard you. We got it wrong, and we’re sorry. We will remove the video and would like to make a #BiryaniTogether — to all recipe developers and chefs who would like to work with us on a traditional recipe, please make contact with us and let’s do it #together.”
“This post will remain on Twitter in the interests of discussion and transparency. The original video has been removed from all our other platforms,” they added.
— food24.com (@food24) September 30, 2020
This post will remain on Twitter in the interests of discussion and transparency. The original video has been removed from all our other platforms.
— food24.com (@food24) October 1, 2020
Here is my favourite recipe for Biryani
- Chicken 12 pieces 1 kg
- Basmati Rice 1 kg
- Onion Golden Brown 2 large size
- National Ginger Garlic Paste 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes 4 large size
- Yoghurt 2 cups
- 20 gm Garam Masalah
- 1 TSP turmeric
- 1 kg of potatoes
- Bay Leaf 1 or 2
- Black Cumin ½ tsp
- Whole Black Pepper 7-8
- Red Chili Powder 1tbsp
- Cloves 4-6
- Fresh Lemon 3-4
- Mint Leaves 1 bunch
- Crushed Cardamom 4-6
- Warm Milk 1 cup
- Saffron Color ¼ tsp
- Saffron (optional) 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil As per requirement
Step-by-Step Cooking Method:
- Add water in a bowl, then add Guard Rice & soak them for 20-25 Minutes in water
- In a bowl, add some water. Then add gram Masalah, salt cooking oil in this water and cook then strain and separate. Then add rice and cook for a while
- In a pan, add cooking oil, ginger garlic paste, cumin, chicken, garam Masala, yoghurt, Bay Leaf, salt
- Red chilli powder, green coriander powder, cumin powder, tomato paste, turmeric and cook then add potatoes and simmer it for 5-7 Minutes
- Fry it for 2 minutes
- Now take a bowel and add prepared masala in it then add garnish ( lemon slices, Tomato slices, Green chillies, Chopped Ginger, Brown Onions, Crushed green coriander, Mint ). Then add boiled rice and repeat this process
- Now add chicken soup, yellow food colour and simmer it for 8-10 minutes
- Scrumptious Biryani is ready to serve